Ladies and gentlemen...I give you my favorite meal ever - stuffed peppers!!! Growing up, as soon as we spotted some bell peppers in the garden, this is the meal we'd make.
They are packed with veggies, rice, and meat.
Recipe passed down from my great-grandma to my grandmother to my mother, to me....and now to you.
Vegetable, rice and meat stuffed peppers
Difficulty: medium
Cooking time: 120 min
Prep time: 30 min
ingredients
| Onions | 2 pieces | you can also use leeks, or both |
| Carrots | 2 pieces | |
| Oil | 3 tbsp | I use Sunflower Seed oil in all my cooking |
| Rice | 1 1/2 cups | Not Minute Rice |
| Ground meat | 1 lbs | I use mixed ground pork and ground beef |
| Bell Peppers | 1 lbs | I used gypsy peppers, which are the closest to the ones I've had growing up |
| Fresh Tomatoes | 2 pounds | To be used for the stuffing and the sauce the peppers will cook in. You can also use chopped canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. |
| Fresh dill | 1 bunch | |
| Dried Savory | 0.5 tsp | I didn't use it, but my mother always did |
| Salt | 1 tsp | |
| Black Pepper | 0.5 tsp |
step by step
| 1 | |
| 2
Wash the tomatoes. Cut them in half, and then remove the core. I usually cut the core in the shape of a 'V' so I don't waste too much of the tomato.
| |
| 3 | |
| 4 | |
| 5 | |
| 6 | |
| 7
Add your tomato, onion, carrot, and pepper mixture on top. Add the uncooked rice and the chopped dill. Mix well. Make sure it's salted enough, as the rice will soak up a lot of the flavors. Since the meat is already cooked, I just try a little bit of this mixture, just to taste for salt, and then spit it out, since the rice is uncooked. Add more spices if needed.
| |
| 8 | |
| 9
Now to the fun part - stuffing the peppers. Use a tea spoon and add the rice mixture. Make sure you pack it in well, because when you boil the peppers, some of the stuffing will come out.
Place them neatly in a large tall pot. Make sure they are standing up straight. Don't they look cute, all lined up like little soldiers? Make sure they are snug in there.
If your pot is tall enough, you can lay some more on top, like so:
| |
| 10 | |
| 11
After they've cut, let them cool off for a bit. Serve warm with sour cream. Bon appetit!
But wait....there's more!
I always have extra stuffing, so I just put it in a ziploc back and freeze it. It's perfect for a risotto. Just defrost and simmer in a pot. Add more cooked veggies or just as is.
Hugs, |






.jpg)


oooo yum!
ReplyDeleteI'm making my shopping list for tomorrow's dinner. These look heavenly! Thanks for the recipe.
ReplyDeleteHi, I found your blog visiting another post you put up at a party at The Shabby Nest. I just found this recipe. Stuffed green peppers happens to be an uber-favorite of mine, and so I'm always looking for better and better stuffed pepper recipes. Yours sounds absolutely delicious, I will try it real soon, but with green peppers, that's my thing, not the sweet peppers :)
ReplyDelete