Chevron Wrapping Paper Covered Bookshelves

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Though I love the look of bookshelves, decorating them is not my favorite thing. Why you ask? because I'm of the opinion that bookshelves should be practical, and used according to its destination...you know...holding books. However, if they hold only books and trinkets, they can look messy and chaotic.  I did my best at marrying practical, organized and pretty. I still have boxes full of books that haven't made the cut for displaying rights, but hopefully their turn is coming soon.


Here's what I started with...

                 

and here's what you'll need to achieve the same look:
  • wrapping paper (when I saw this chevron one at HomeGoods I felt like the angels were singing Hallelujah and so I snagged 3 rolls (which is all they had)
  • double sided tape 
  • scissors and/or X-acto knife


Here's what I did:
  • cleared everything off the shelves and dusted. This was the hardest or longest part of the project (you know...since I can hardly remember when I dusted there)
  • removed shelves
  • This is when you start measuring your wrapping paper. I was soo lucky because the width of the paper was exactly the same as the width of my bookshelves backing. Remember those angels I heard at the store?...yeah...now you know why - it was a match made in heaven.
  • I actually didn't have double sided tape and tried using regular tape. That was a bad idea, as the paper would fall 2 seconds after i put it up and overall it made everything so much more frustrating, so I abandoned the tap route and went with push pins in the corners. You can barely tell they're there and most of them were covered by books anyway.


  • After I attached with two pushpins at the top, I rolled out the wrapping paper all the way to the bottom of the middle shelf that doesn't come off, made a crease and used the X-acto knife to cut. I did the same for all the rest. 

It only took me one roll of wrapping paper, so for under $5, I was able to get a whole new look for the room. I like that it looks sort of nautical and will work out well for summer. 
What do you think? Do your books get dusted more often than mine?

 


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this! It looks soooo good! Chevron = Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! I found your post at Lil' Luna's link party! This is such a great, crafty idea and it's definitely a must-try! I would like to invite you to my party to link up this recipe for others to see! http://home-styled.blogspot.com/2013/04/link-party-show-your-style-sunday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fab! This s such a good idea! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love the pop of color! Fantastic idea. BTW, where is a Home Goods around here. I have heard so many good things about that store.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day