How to get rid of fruit flies

Monday, October 22, 2012

This post is a brought to you by guest contributor Kara.

Those with green thumbs are enjoying the fruits of their labors right now.  We have a tasty crop of zucchini and tomatoes in our tiny garden.  But bringing in produce from the garden also means bringing fruit flies in some of the time.  Since I'm sure someone out there is plagued with these tiny bugs flying around their kitchen, I'd like to share how I get them out of my house.  I learned this secret when I was feeding fruit flies to frogs in a research lab years ago.

1. Remove anything the fruit flies are enjoying, this includes emptying the garbage and running the disposal.
2. Get a cup.
3. Shape a cone out of paper, big enough so it will be bigger than the cup at its widest, with the tip of the cone above the bottom of the cup. You can leave a tiny opening in the tip of the cone, or just cut it with scissors. The opening should be about half the size of a pea.
4. Place a piece of fruit in the bottom of the cup. Banana slices work really well. We didn't have banana, so I used a cut up grape.
5. Place the cone in the cup, narrow side done. Seal the side of the cup to the cone with tape.
6. Leave trap out for a day. Fruit flies should make their way down the cone and into the cup, and then not be able to figure their way out. You will want to release the flies outside after about 48 hours, and start all over with new fruit and cone if you still have flies around. If you keep the trap around for much longer than that, it will have become a fruit fly incubator. 
7.  Dispose of the paper and tape in an outside garbage and wash the glass immediately.

~Kara
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you Kara for such an awesome and helpful tip.


Hugs,
Iuliana
Would you like to see similar projects? Please consider following or subscribing 
to my blog by clicking on one of the icons below:
facebooktwitter


Pin It

21 comments:

  1. I will definitely have to try this. Thanks for the post, Kara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I detest fruit flies. Thanks for sharing this tip. I'd love it if you'd link this up to my Home and Family Friday linky party!

    Becca
    becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that?! Big smiles! Gonna try it!

    Visiting from Tatertots & Jello Linky Party today,
    ~Suzanne in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea! I have been using my little dirt devil with the clear canister. It is satisfying to see how many you can catch although I have been told I look a bit silly moving the vacuum around to get them:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I've never known how to get rid of them, and they make me cranky for days and days until they're gone. My family will be happy for this tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I have been trying everything and those buggers are everywhere. It doesn't help that Hansel and Gretyl (aka, my son and daughter) leave a trail for any bug to follow. I am trying this...immediately!
    Kim
    www.kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great advice! We've had flies for a while and I hated them! we tried something just like this and it worked, but we used apple cider vinegar, so if the grapes don't seem to be attracting them, try the vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome tip! I am totally pinning this, I HATE fruit flies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool - I'm waging a fruit fly battle right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I hate these little buttheads and never have known how to get rid of them! New follower via GFC! Would love to have you over on my blog!

    Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
    http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally going over to your blog now! Thank you for following.

      Delete
  11. awesome advice, thanks for sharing! me and my husband want to start a garden soon so this is good to know. i love finding helpful blogs :)
    visiting from whatever whenever wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and of course i'm following now!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for following and for stopping by. That too is one of my favorite things about link parties - finding awesome new bloggers to follow, to network with and become friends.

      Delete
  12. Here is another tip I've used, and it works very well. In a small glass put apple cider vinegar, small amount of water, and a drop of dishwashing soap (Dawn works well). Leave the glass where ever you have the problem, countertops, plants, etc., and the fruit flies will be attracted to the apple cider vinegar mixture. They fly in, drown, and eventually dissolve from the acid of the vinegar. No fuss, no muss, and no release.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is truly genius. I've tried everything to get rid of the little buggers. Could you use a disposible cup and just dispose of the whole dog and pony show? (HATE Bugs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. using a disposable cup is a great idea too. It'a like taking an awesome idea and making it even better - like going from iPhone1 to iPhone5:)

      Delete
  14. Great tip thanks for sharing! I hate fruit flies. BTW - love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love it when people say they love my blog. Seriously makes my day.

      Delete
  15. OMG finally a fruit fly saving post...thank u thank u so much!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day