DIY Super Hero Tutu Costumes

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

This post is from guest contributor Kara, who describes herself as good at math, bad at crafts.

I love Halloween.  I love the candy, the costumes, the pumpkins, trick-or-treating, the candy, the decorations, the candy, the Monster Mash, the candy, and the candy.  It's a great holiday without awkward family obligations and you don't have to buy anyone a present.  There are only two things you have to worry about: Did you buy enough candy, and is your costume creative/fabulous/unique enough?


Super Heroes are all the rage right now.  The problem with traditional female super hero costumes is there are so few to choose from, and they're made with the same amount of fabric as a swimsuit.  Until I have the same figure as Anne Hathaway, I probably shouldn't attempt to replicate her costume.


My sister has solved this problem with a new costume recipe:  take the colors and emblems of the hero of your choice (male or female), add one tutu, and you have a fabulous costume.


I know many moms would be the perfect sidekick to their tiny batmen with this costume.  I can imagine it easily adapted for any leotard-wearing super hero.  I'm never going to wear a unitard in public (you're welcome, public) but I can see my family pulling off "The Incredibles" if we use the tutu version for the ladies.





For this costume, she took a fitted red t-shirt, pinned on a craft-felt applique and satin ribbon belt.  The tutu was tied together with a no-sew technique.  She made a mask with craft felt, then used "dress-tape" to adhere it to her face. (If you're wondering what dress-tape is, it's tape that is designed to keep fabric in place on REALLY low-cut dresses, so it adheres to skin on one side and fabric on the other.)  Throw on some leggings and shoes, and you're ready to fight crime in Gotham. Before the costume contest, she's going to kick it up a notch by making a short yellow cape to end at the waist, and add some class with green opera gloves. She will be partying alongside tutu-clad Batwoman and Superwoman.  With that trio around, no joker is ever going to get out of line.

Does this superhero costume give you courage to be a super hero this Halloween?!
                                  
Thank you,



Pin It

33 comments:

  1. I love the robin costume! We get to dress up at work, and i am going to find a super hero I like and add a tutu. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw...thank you for the sweet words. Seriously made my day!

      Delete
  2. ADORABLE! Coming from Sew Much Ado Linky... New fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Fan!!!!! Yey! I love my new followers! Thank you for coming over!

      Delete
  3. Great idea! This such a fun easy costume! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have to tell me of you're gonna do this for the ward Halloween party so we don't come wearing the same thing:)

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha! No, my husband wants us all to go with the Avengers theme, we'll see if it actually happens...Sewing is not my forte.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Janine. Totally going to your site now, because I have a feeling it has something to do with sweets, which I really love:)

      Delete
  5. This is awesome!! I already have my costume for this year, but I'll definitely have start thinking of ideas for next year!! =] http://www.shesfreakingcrafty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. You have to Pin it for next year:)

      Delete
  6. This costume is so much fun! I might have to make it for myself and dress my daughter up as a pint sized version.

    I wanted to invite you to share this great Halloween idea on my blog, Confetti Diaries, link party this week. I know my readers would love such great inspiration. We hope to see you there!

    http://confettidiaries.com/2012/10/wednesdays-goody-bag-link-party-4/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I'd like to see pictures if you do decide to do this costume for you and your daughter.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you. It really makes my day to get such sweet comments.

      Delete
  8. Tutus for grown-ups?! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I've been wondering for awhile now how to wear a tutu as an adult. I'm weirdly jealous of little kids in their tutus..haha. I guess Halloween is the perfect opportunity.
    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog through the wednesday link up. Your superhero costume had me intrigued. Love it. Your blog is great. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so fun! I love the crazy tutu!
    We'd love for you to link up on our Friday Blog Hop: http://www.ladiesholiday.com Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm hosting an It's Fall Y'all ~ Linky Party. I would love for you to stop by and share this project, and any other Fall project, you may have. Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What material did she use to make the tutu? I am a Kindergarten teacher and am making a superhero costume to wear to school on Halloween. Each of the 4 Kinder teachers at my school will be making a version of this and dressing as a different superhero. I have read some how-to's that say to use tulle and some that say to use nylon. I want my tutu to have the same effect as the one in the picture. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called and asked her- she used ten yards of tulle, about 45" wide, cut into about three inch strips (so 3"x45'). The fabric comes folded in half, keep it folded, cut your stips, then loop the open side of the strip through the folded side around the elastic band. (like you were doing a latch hook rug). Repeat about 120 times around the waistband. The tulle will curl a little on its own, but she says she "scrunched it" to help it have more texture.

      I hope that clarifies things a little. A youtube tutorial will probably clear things up. And just FYI, the tulle was about $1.25/yard at walmart.

      Delete
    2. *each strip is about 3" wide( you don't have to be precise), and its length is the width of the fabric, 45", not 45'.
      A lot of the tutorials use spooled tulle. It probably won't curl as much as the cut tulle, and you'd need about 150 yards of it to have the same length and number of strips.

      Delete
  14. It's just regular tulle and you can find instructions how to make a tutu on YouTube. It's such a good idea for you guys to be superheroes, because really you guys are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute! saw you linked this up on a link party, would love if you linked up on mine and added it to your list www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is super cute! The tutu is a great touch! We were going to do superheroes as a family costume, but my husband vetoed it. Maybe next year. :-) And I'm featuring this on my blog tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what's up with these husband vetoes?!? My husband isn't very adventurous like that and only after tons and tons of begging he will actually dress up for Halloween. Oh well...

      Thank you for featuring this. I will definitely stop by to check it out!

      Delete
  17. So super cute! Loved and pinned. Thanks for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too, too fun! My boys would love to have a super hero mommy! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity at Mom On Timeout. Hope to see you back tonight!
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the robin every year we well, me & my kids all try to be partly the same theme & this year My 2 girls & I are Wonder women, Bat girl & Robin & my 2 boys are captain America & superman, & we also decorate r Trunk to match us so we are having a bat cave on the back of our car... But for us girls i did make us all a Tutu to go with our costume Like the one above...

    ReplyDelete
  20. my little one decided to be Batman this year for Halloween, and I figured that I should be his trusty sidekick, Robin! Thanks for the tutorial! This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day