Zucchini Chicken Rice Pilaf {Gluten Free}

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Zucchini and Chicken Rice Pilaf {Gluten Free}



Difficulty: medium
Prep time:  10 min
Cooking time: 25min


Ingredients


Onions1 (large)you can also use leeks, or both
Carrots1 (large)I actually forgot to add the grated carrots, but I usually do
Oil3 tbspI use Sunflower Seed oil in all my cooking
Rice1 1/2 cupsI used brown rice, but white works too
Rotisserie chickenI made 3 different meals from one roasted chicken. You can also used just cooked chicken breast
Bell Peppers1 (large)

Zucchini
2 (medium)
Fresh cilantro2 tbspthese are for garnishing at the end and it is optional
Feta cheese 1/2 cupfor garnishing 
                        
Salt and pepper to tast
    
step by step

1. Gather your ingredients. Chop your vegetables.








2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat add the oil. Add onions, salt and cook, 
stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and translucent. 


3. Add the peppers and zucchini. Note that I did not peel the zucchini. I find that when 
I peel them, they just turn into mush once cooked. 



4. Add rice and cook, stirring, until rice grains are opaque.



5. Add water or chicken broth enough to cover the mixture. Bring to a boil and 
then add the cooked chicken.



 I transferred into a pot because I couldn't find the lid for my large pan. Cover, reduce
heat to simmer, and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes. Turn off heat but let rice sit for 
5 minutes undisturbed. Uncover and fluff with a fork.


Serve garnished with feta cheese and parsley.



I like to make this meal with any variation of vegetables that I have in my fridge. 
It is a quick and simple but still pretty yummy. An added bonus is that it is gluten free.

Do you like zucchini? What do you like to use them for?
Linking to these awesome parties.
IulianaPin It

10 comments:

  1. This looks super good and healthy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! This looks so very good. I love all those things in there. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks really yummy! I may have to give it a try this week :).

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I just put enough to cover the whole mixture.

      Delete
  5. Hi there. Food on Friday:Zucchini is open for entries. This looks like a good one! I do hope you link it in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my dear! This looks amazing! I love pilaf! Thanks so much for linking up to the Be.You.Tiful Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delish! I love anything with cilantro! Thank you so much for linking up to the Feature Friday Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh...I'm star struck. I can't believe you came to my blog!

      Delete
  8. Oh this looks so good! Visiting from the Friday Feature link party. Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day