5 clever ways to store your Christmas decorations {Free and Green}

Friday, December 30, 2011

Do you take down your Christmas decor as soon as the clock hits 12 on New Year's Eve or do you wait? I am one of those people that like to keep my decorations longer. In any case, taking them down can get messy and tedious, tempting me us to just throw things in a bag and forget about it all. However, if you've had the privilege to be the one to detangle string lights, or clean up broken ornaments, you will want to read this post. I have put together a small list of 5 really easy and green ways to organize and store your holiday decor. I've also included non diy ideas that Pinterest helped me find.


1. ORNAMENTS

Egg cartons for small ornaments? Um....genius! I would also use tissue paper to offer more cushion.


You can also place them in paper/plastic cups. Cover one layer of cups with cardboard and make another layer. You can even hot glue the bottom of the cups to the cardboard for more stability.  I find this method a bit unrealistic for my limited storage space.



Oh and make sure you do it all in slow-mo, as in this picture. It works much better:)




You can always buy an inexpensive ornament bin or bag. 
I haven't tried one, but I imagine it is quite useful.


                                                  Source: lillianvernon.com via Kaye on Pinterest





   2. STRINGS OF LIGHTS


Wrap around a piece of cardboard. I love this idea,
because my least favorite part of holiday decorating is 
untangling the lights. Use the same method for your garlands.

Another tip to avoid knots and snarls is to wrap the strings around old coffee/formula tin cans. Just cut a slit in the plastic lid, and put the receptacle end of the light cord through it. Wrap the string around the can, and store extra bulbs and extension cords inside.  

 Source: realsimple.com via Iuliana on Pinterest




You can also buy Christmas Lights Storage bags or boxes. 
I've seen inexpensive ones on Ebay or Amazon. I pinned 
these because they include reels you can just wrap your lights around.
                                                                      






                                                                        Source: renilim.hubpages.com via Iuliana on Pinterest








3. WREATHS

 I usually put wreaths in a big shopping bag and just tie the handles. 
The ones from Aldi are perfect, but you can also 
use just regular trash bags.









I've seen these boxes circulating blogland and pinterest.

Source: realsimple.com via Iuliana on Pinterest



4. CHRISTMAS TREE 

If you have a fake tree, just repack in its original box. It's free and works for a few years. Then, duct tape will help the box survive for a few more Christmases. 






When the box cannot be revived, do yourself a favor and buy a christmas tree storage box. We bought a very inexpensive one last year from Aldi, and have wondered why I didn't do it before. Wait...I know...it was FREE to store in its own box.  I couldn't find the one we got, but below is just one idea.

Source: realsimple.com via Iuliana on Pinterest




As for a real tree - most cities/towns have Christmas tree recycling. If yours doesn't, I am not sure what you could do. I guess you could chop it down and put it with your yard waste garbage.

5. LABEL AL YOUR BOXES CLEARLY

 Don't use sticky notes. You will not find your boxes the following year without some serious frustration and some sunday school words...not that I have done this before.

Happy organizing and Happy New Year!

Iuliana
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. My best organizing hint is to pack all the stuff for one area in the same box. For example, the bannister box gets the greenery, the lights, the stockings, the bows, all the things that go on the bannister. The same with the foyer, mantel, piano, etc. I also pack our everyday things in those boxes after I take out the Christmas stuff. That gets our normal things out of the way for Christmas. Using this method, I can pull down the boxes for an area one at a time to clean up after Christmas. I don't have 20 boxes cluttering up my entire house. By the way, it usually takes me a couple of weeks to get everything put away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post! I'm having a Linky party too! I would love it if you would link up your favorite posts. Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for joining my linky party! This post rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing ideas-I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw...thanks guys. Believe it or not, I still have all my decor up. I am having another holiday party this Friday, and will take it all down on Saturday. Thanks for following and reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day