Ikea Lamp Shade Hack

Friday, November 25, 2011

I had these lamps in my bedroom with really dated lampshades, and quite gross if you looked up close. I did like the lamp posts - they have a very distressed french country look that I wanted to incorporate lighly in my bedroom. I didn't want to buy new lamps, but even just the lamp shades were just too expensive to justify an unimportant want like that. So, I decided to buy the inexpensive lamp shades from IKEA. Little did I know, IKEA lampshades don't work with non-IKEA lamps.


My husband mentioned using washers (and no...I didn't really know what those were until I went to Home Depot and asked). I just got two for each lamp and they are like a quarter each.

Make sure that the opening is larger than the lamp's bold, and that the diameter of the washer is larger then the lampshade opening.





Check out the tutorial on how to use an IKEA lamp shade on an NON-IKEA  lamp:

Here's the BEFORE  (it looks better in the picture than in real life)


1. Remove the lamp shade, by unscrewing the top nob.


2. Place the washer and lamp shade on top of your lamp


3. Add your second washer and screw your lamp's original nob back on.


and here's the AFTER


I am planning to paint the base or maybe the lampshade, once I decide on my new color scheme.

Happy Ikea Hacking,

Iuliana


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. good to know, the shade looks so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip. Thank you for sharing. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day