How to make your own Chevron Rug using fabric

Thursday, October 13, 2011

I love pretty fabric. Even better....I like pretty fabric for a good price! Weird, huh?! Fabric.com is often my go to site that meets both my criteria. This next project is no exception.  

We've all seen those absolutely gorgeous zig zag rugs (or if you want to sound cool you can call it chevron), especially the famous and very trendy elm rug, that I am personally in love with. But NOT loving the price though. So naturally I wanted to make one. J/k. I would never naturally want to make a rug, but going against my nature and the sane advice of my husband, I still decided to make one. I've found awesome tutorials about painting one here and here, but after my failed attempt to paint some fat stripes on my bedroom curtains, I decided against this option.

And then it hit me! I love fabric! I know where to get cheap and pretty fabric.I should make a fabric rug. Ok...it didn't really hit me first. I saw it on a blog, but now I can't remember where.

Here's my inspiration:



(West Elm)


(West Elm rug, from Four Walls and a Roof)

(Madeline Weinrib rug in Nicole Balch's home, from Making it Lovely)

(Domino)







And here's mine!!!! Not bad, heh?


I don't have pictures of the process, but I will write a few instructions and it shouldn't be very hard to follow them. All in all, it wasn't very hard to make.


What you'll need:


- 2 yards of fabric. I got mine here


                           - One 6 x 9 dropcloth I got from Home Depot


canvaslowes


-5 x 8 Rug Gripper

ruggripper




aleenestackyglue

Step 1: Iron your fabric and drop cloth. 

Step 2: Start layering all your pieces, preferably without any toys flying around and landing on your project, because that never happened to me before:)

Step 3: Spray the glue unto your dropcloth and then carefully place the fabric on top, smoothing out any bubbles or wrinkles.

Step 4: Pin all your pieces together. Fold your fabric over to the back and sew all the pieces together.

Step 5: Cut any excess fabric

Step 6: is actually literally a step....because you need to step back an enjoy your new rug!!!!

With love, from Lindsay

Linking to these awesome parties.

Hugs,
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea, and your rug turned out great. I've featured it today on my Inspiration Files blog on A2D. http://inspiration-files.addicted2decorating.com/2011/11/chevron-fabric-rug-procraftination.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! I'm having a very hard time finding a rug in my price range for our master bedroom, this is great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a plan for cleaning? I'm wondering if coating with polyurethane or some such would be a good idea.

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric is actually indoor-outdoor, so it wipes clean very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job! What a good idea to use fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice fabric rug! I made one myself a while back using a zebra print. Found yous from Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that is awesome. I was just wonderng whether the type of fabric you use matters? Does it need to be heavy upholstery or can it be medium?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day