How to make Stuffed Peppers {Recipe and Tutorial}

Monday, September 12, 2011

Ladies and gentlemen...I give you my favorite meal ever - stuffed peppers!!! Growing up, as soon as we spotted some bell peppers in the garden, this is the meal we'd make. 
They are packed with veggies, rice, and meat.



Recipe passed down from my great-grandma to my grandmother to my mother, to me....and now to you.

Vegetable, rice and meat stuffed peppers

Difficulty: medium
Cooking time: 120 min
Prep time: 30 min

ingredients


Onions2 piecesyou can also use leeks, or both
Carrots2 pieces
Oil3 tbspI use Sunflower Seed oil in all my cooking
Rice1 1/2 cupsNot Minute Rice
Ground meat 1 lbsI use mixed ground pork and ground beef
Bell Peppers1 lbsI used gypsy peppers, which are the closest to the ones I've had growing up
Fresh Tomatoes2 poundsTo be used for the stuffing and the sauce the peppers will cook in. You can also use chopped canned tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Fresh dill1 bunch
Dried Savory0.5 tspI didn't use it, but my mother always did
Salt1 tsp
Black Pepper0.5 tsp



step by step



1
Peel, wash and chop the onions. Peel, wash and grate the carrots. Wash and remove the core and seeds of one of the peppers. Finely dice the pepper.


2
Wash the tomatoes. Cut them in half, and then remove the core. I usually cut the core in the shape of a 'V' so I don't waste too much of the tomato.


3
Put the tomatoes in the food processor in batches, to make a chunky juice.

4
Saute the onions, carrots and peppers until tender. Add some of the fresh tomato sauce and let it simmer for 5 minutes on medium to low heat.


5
In a different pan, brown the meat. Add the spices now. Keep breaking it up as to not create big chunks. Drain the fat at the end.


6
Put the cooked meat in a large bowl. Set aside. The biggest I had was this aluminum looking one and so you can see an upside down distorted reflection of me taking the picture :)



7
Add your tomato, onion, carrot, and pepper mixture on top. Add the uncooked rice and the chopped dill. Mix well. Make sure it's salted enough, as the rice will soak up a lot of the flavors. Since the meat is already cooked, I just try a little bit of this mixture, just to taste for salt, and then spit it out, since the rice is uncooked. Add more spices if needed.



8
Now let's prepare the peppers. Wash them, and then carefully remove the core, and seeds with a small knife. The smaller the hole, the better.




9
Now to the fun part - stuffing the peppers. Use a tea spoon and add the rice mixture. Make sure you  pack it in well, because when you boil the peppers, some of the stuffing will come out.


Place them neatly in a large tall pot. Make sure they are standing up straight. Don't they look cute, all lined up like little soldiers? Make sure they are snug in there.



If your pot is tall enough, you can lay some more on top, like so:


10
Pour your tomato juice on top. If it doesn't cover the peppers, add some water. Bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and let them simmer for an hour on low heat.


11
After they've cut, let them cool off for a bit. Serve warm with sour cream. Bon appetit!


But wait....there's more!

I always have extra stuffing, so I just put it in a ziploc back and freeze it. It's perfect for a risotto. Just defrost and simmer in a pot. Add more cooked veggies or just as is.

Hugs,

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I'm making my shopping list for tomorrow's dinner. These look heavenly! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found your blog visiting another post you put up at a party at The Shabby Nest. I just found this recipe. Stuffed green peppers happens to be an uber-favorite of mine, and so I'm always looking for better and better stuffed pepper recipes. Yours sounds absolutely delicious, I will try it real soon, but with green peppers, that's my thing, not the sweet peppers :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day